I joined KC Communications just over two months ago, and what a couple of months it has been!
I was very nervous heading to both my first and second interviews, mainly because the moment I spotted an opening at KC, I knew this was the place for me. Thankfully, it turned out that there was nothing to worry about – both Katrina, KC’s MD and Sarah, one of the Account Manager’s, made me feel very welcome and comfortable. After rigorous (yet surprisingly friendly) questioning and upon successful completion of my assigned tasks, I was offered my dream role.
I come from a big-agency background, where I have worked on an array of PR projects for various clients, including P&G brands (such as Gillette and Gillette Venus), Reebok and McDonald. My responsibilities included creating content, maintaining relationships with the press, organising events and pitching new projects. Therefore, it is very refreshing to work in a small and tight-knit environment, in which I can always count on one of my colleagues to help me out if I stumble upon a problem or challenge.
My first few days comprised mainly of trying to wrap my head around various clients and the KC way of doing things – however, that didn’t last long, as I got pulled into a variety of activities head first!
Katrina showed she put her trust in me from the very beginning by asking me to join her at client meetings and strategic planning for new businesses since the start. It gave me the confidence and belief in myself that I needed to thrive.
Over the last two months, I have worked on a vast array of projects for various clients, which allowed me to wrap my head around the varied roles and responsibilities. Among others, I have been:
- Writing various press releases that are sent out to all relevant contacts, optimising clients reach and publicity
- Taking ownership of clients’ social media accounts, ensuring content shared is well suited and engaging, as well as creating/maintaining relationships through online discussion
- Generating content ideas for clients and developing these ideas into blogs and editorials
- Creating awards entries on behalf our clients
- Attending conferences and networking events (such as the Kirklees Business Conference, a week into joining KC!)
Networking, in particular, has allowed me to meet a lot of local businesses and start to build my professional network, as well as learning more about the local PR and marketing world! This is something I was a bit nervous about, as I am relatively new to the area – thankfully, again, I had the KC Team behind me to help steer me through and build my confidence.
Moreover, I was lucky enough to join KC at a very busy time:
- We are going through an Account Management training programme, which is aimed at our enhancing our professional and personal development, both individually and as a team
- We have moved to larger offices, and are now in a lovely location with a roof terrace!
- Last Thursday, we attended an exciting night at the Prolific North Awards, where we have been shortlisted for the Small PR Agency of the Year Award (we didn’t win the award, but we won a great time!)
In the next few months, I will be developing ideas within marketing and social media calendars, writing new content, and researching opportunities for our clients to jump on and benefit from.
With regards to personal goals, I have my eyes on a Professional PR Diploma with the CIPR, as well as further developing my skills and expertise by facing a new work challenge every day!
I have never believed I would find a job that I could honestly say was perfect for me, and fit not only my professional goals and aspirations but also – my personality and character…up till now.
Go Team KC!